The electoral results of the 2019 University of Ghana Students Representative Council election has been rejected by the joint campaign team of Anthony Julius and Bismark Kwaku Asante.
The team explained that the election was characterized with widespread irregularities at the Mensah Sarbah Hall and Jean Nelson Aka Hall polling stations.
In a statement signed by their campaign spokesperson, Emmanuel Owusu Agyei Ampem, they mentioned that they had received reports of ballot stuffing, voting without Verification, voting without ID cards among others including threats and intimidation at the Mensah Sarbah Hall.
They added that there were also issues of over voting at the Jean Nelson Hall polling station.
Anthony Julius and Kwaku Asante Bismark both lost at the aforementioned two polling stations, with their defeat being at the Sarbah Hall being the worst.
According to provisional results received by UniversNews, Isaac Agyemang and Louis Banahene have won in some 7 polling stations out of the 13.
In our results, Isaac Agyemang has garnered about 3,700 votes ahead of Anthony Julius’ about 3,300 votes.
Below is the full statement from Team Anthony Julius and Kwaku Asante
The Campaign of JULIUS KWAME ANTHONY & KWAKU ASANTE has been made aware of publications of results of the just ended SRC elections and wants to make the following facts clear;
1. That we do not accept the unofficial results published as a true reflection of events that transpired today
2. This stems from the facts of widespread irregularities that characterized voting especially in the Sarbah and Jean Nelson Aka Halls.
3. At Mensah Sarbah Hall, there were several reports of ballot stuffing, voting without Verification, voting without ID cards among others including threats and intimidations.
4. At the Jean Nelson Aka Hall, there has been the agreement between stakeholders present that there was over voting of at least three ballots.
5. Consequently, we have directed our Polling agents in the respective Polling stations to reject the results, not sign the election declaration form and proceed to file complaint of the nature we have provided above.
We are hopeful, that this step from our outfit will not be misconstrued, but understood as our collective efforts towards safeguarding the Electoral process as well as seeing to it that the mandate of students is jealously guarded.