Management of the Maritime Regional University in Accra has waived portions of student’s fees for the second semester of the 2019/2020 academic year.
The decision comes on the back of the successful migration of teaching and learning online following the closure of all universities in Ghana due to the outbreak of coronavirus.
Generally, students across the country have decried how cost intensive it is to be instructed online. Many students have called on stakeholders to cushion their expenses.
In a statement signed by the Registrar of the University, Dr. Baboucarr Njie, students in level 100 through to 300, will have their fees, excluding accommodation and feeding fees, slashed by 5 percent.
Fifty percent of the accommodation and feeding fee for affected students have been waived for this semester and would be credited to them during the first semester of the 2020/2021 academic year.
Meanwhile, “internet fee of US$ 50.00 for the second semester school fees has also been waived for final year students to enable them complete and submit their dissertation in good time”
Decision on how to assess students for the semester
School authorities have also announced that its end-of-semester examination will be in the form of take home assignments.
It says that the take-home assignment will constitute 40% of their overall score grade with continuous assessment making up for the remaining 60%.
Final year students have been asked to pay their fees in full to be eligible to take the end-of-semester take-home examination.
However, continuous students “are required to pay at least 80% of their total outstanding fees by 10th May, 2020 at the earliest or by 15th May, 2020, at the latest”
Story by: Michael Papanii Ashalley & Eli Djomekou | universnewsroom.com