The Ghana Police Service (GPS) has released the crime report for 2017.
The report contains crime statistics for the year 2017 and comparative analysis of crime trends for the year 2016 and 2017
It also includes robbery prone areas, modus operandi of robbers and crime prevention tips.
According to the report, the number of crimes reported in the country has generally has gone down.
Conferring to the stats, the GPS recorded a 0.2 percent decrease in the number of reported crime cases in the year 2017 as compared to those in 2016.
The Police Service received a total of 201,936 complaints throughout the country in 2017 as against 202,276 in 2016.
Of these reports, 95.0 percent was adjudged true cases and the remaining 5 percent was refused for being trivial and civil in nature.
However, the GPS saw a significant increase in major criminal offense cases such as robbery, assault, defilement, rape, and murder.
Robbery and defilement topped the chart with 1,772 and 1,686 respectively representing 26.8% and 25.7% increase from the recorded 2016 crime report correspondingly.
In exception of stealing and causing harm, all other commonly committed crimes experienced a general decrease in rate from the previous year, 2016.
The report registered assault as the most commonly committed crime in the country with 57,737 reported crimes.
This figure is however 2.4 percent lower than the 59,158 cases of assault in 2016.
Regional Crime Reports;
Also, Greater Accra Region and Ashanti Region led in all selected major crime cases in 2017.
- Accra: 88 representing 83.3% increase from 2016.
- Ashanti: 127 representing -17.4% decrease from 2016.
- Accra: 534 representing 73.4% increase from 2016.
- Ashanti: 209 representing 0% increase from 2016.
- Accra: 177 representing 18.0% increase from 2016.
- Ashanti: 67 representing 7% decrease from 2016.
- Accra: 809 representing 31.3% increase from 2016.
- Ashanti: 132 representing 2% decrease from 2016.
Monthly Crime Report (Robbery);
Crime report distribution showed that the month of September recorded the highest number of robberies in the year 2017 as compared to 2016 representing an increase of 24.1%.
There was an average of 29.5 percent increase in robbery-related crimes in the country says the report as at 2017. This translates as approximately five (5) cases of robbery were recorded daily in the year 2017.
Foreign nationals were not left out of the report as it was recorded that 15 Chinese nationals were arrested for unlawful mining activities.
“Twenty-nine (29) foreign nationals including seventeen (17) Chinese, two (2) German, one (1) Irish, two (2) Dutch, four (4) Nigerians, two (2) Koreans, and one (1) Lebanese were attacked by robbers. Fifteen (15) Chinese nationals were arrested for mining without lawful authority. Fourteen (14) expatriates including nine (9) British, one (1) Chinese, one (1) Spanish, one (1) Indian, one (1) Beninese and one (1) Gabonese perished through unnatural deaths.”
The report indicated that some police personnel was also arrested for crime-related activities in the year 2017.
“Police managed to arrest two hundred and forty-one (241) suspected robbers nationwide as against two hundred and thirty-two (232) the previous year. The robbers arrested include nine (9) Police men.”
The report also published areas that recorded robbery attacks as well as the percentage variances in offenses across the country on regional bases.
For further and in-depth insight into the report, visit (www.police.gov.gh) or http://police.gov.gh/en/index.php/news-release-police-annual-crime-report-2015-2017/
Story by: Michael Ashalley