Now is definitely not the time to study, “we’re facing a pandemic”. We’re under emotional, physical, mental and home stress. But the only people who seem not to have noticed are our lecturers (and possibly our parents). They keep piling assignments upon assignments while mummy keeps calling and there’s that text we really want to answer. Or that new movie on Netflix we’ve been wanting to watch so bad. A ton of things we want and have to do but little or no time to attend to all of them fully.
There should be a way to win in all these spheres of our life that crave our attention and there are some ways to enjoy quality time at home, have assignments done on time and have that ‘ME time’ on social media or chilling on Netflix
1. Stay Positive: Everyone is going through the pandemic just as much as you are and most likely, you haven’t lost anyone to it( and you won’t lose anyone to this virus either). Just keep a positive mindset and stick to the social distancing guidelines as well as wearing your beautiful face mask.
2. Know your chores for the day: Most of us still live with our parents who seem to have a never ending list of household duties for us which usually interferes with our class schedules. Get to know what chores need to be done in the morning and allocate them for the day. If it can all be completed in the morning, all the better.
3. Know your class schedules: After you know your online lecture times, Set timers before each class starts (at least 30 minutes before and another 10 minutes before) to enable you enter your class early and not miss out. Let your parents and those living with you know your class schedules as well, in order not to interfere when class is ongoing.
4. Do your assignments promptly: This is the only way to avoid been over burdened with assignments. As the deadline set by the lecturer draws near, the pressure on you prevents you from doing it well. So rather than complain when given an assignment, do it immediately or set deadlines ahead of the lecturers deadline. This can help you make changes and do a better review of your work.
5. Put all distractions away: Are you using your phone for your online learning or assignment? Close all other apps that distract like social media apps or just turn off your notifications. If your using your laptop or any other device aside your phone, then do not use your phone until the class or assignment is over. This might take a little discipline but its sure worth it.
6. Allocate time to spend on social media: Who said we don’t have to enjoy or spend time on social media, that’s where we usually get all the news going on around the world including the drama, we can’t miss out. What is unhealthy is when we spend all our time on it. Try and limit the amount of time you spend on social media by allocating time and sticking to it.
7. Spend quality time with your family: There’s no place like home. We always wanted to be home when we were in school, well there we got now. After assignments are done, choose family time and smile more.
8. Have a me time: when you’re able to allocate time to all your activities (don’t expect it to be perfect, one day at a time), you’ll realize that you have all the time in the world to just while away. Spend some time with yourself and also there are a million and one things to learn over the internet. Take advantage of the internet bundles and learn. Don’t forget to chill on Netflix or where ever you prefer to watch too
This is in fact the best time to study after been able to block all the noise around you. Stay home, stay safe and socialize.
Source: Hendrina-Rose Bawa