The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has announced that plans by the government to secure 17m doses of Covid-19 vaccines by the end of June 2021.
Delivering his 23rd national update on the country’s fight against the pandemic, he assured that the doses that will be procured and administered will be evaluated and declared safe for use.
The President said that the target was to vaccinate the entire population, with an initial target of 20 million people.
“Fellow Ghanaians. In update number 21, I indicated that Ghana is set to procure her first consignment of the COVID-19 vaccines within the first half of this year. Since then. A lot of work has been done towards the realization of this. Our aim is to vaccinate the entire population with an initial target of 20 million people. Through bilateral and multilateral means we are hopeful of by the end of June, a total of 17,600,000 vaccine doses will have been procured for the Ghanaian people.”
“The earliest vaccine would be in the country by March. The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) will use its established processes for granting emergency use authorization for each vaccine in Ghana. As president of the Republic, I assure you that only vaccines that have been evaluated and declared safe for use in Ghana would be administered,” he said.
Ghana’s Covid-19 situation
Over the past few days, the country has been recording an average of 600 new cases daily.
According to the President, the country’s active case count stands at 5,358 with the death toll rising to 416.
“As of Friday, January 29, 2021, 64 more people have sadly died over the last two weeks bringing the total number of confirmed deaths to 416. Our hospitalization rate is increasing with the number of critically ill and severely ill now 172. Our hospital has become full, and we have reactivated our isolation centres.”
“Our average daily rate of infection now stands at 700 compared to 200 two weeks ago. The total number of the active case has more than doubled from a little over 1900 two weeks ago to 5,358 currently.”
Meanwhile, a ban on social gatherings has been reimposed to contain the spread of the disease.
Parties, weddings, funerals among others have been banned until further notice.
However, the President says that private funerals with not more than 25 people can take place.
“Until further notice, funerals, weddings, concerts, theatrical performances, and parties are banned. Private burials with not more than 25 people can take place with the enforcement of the social distancing, hygiene, and mask-wearing protocols. Beaches, nightclubs, cinemas, and pubs continue to be shut. Our borders by land and sea remain closed,” he said in Sunday’s 23rd address.
President Akufo-Addo has also implored offices to adopt a shift system for workers.
“All workplaces, public and private must implore a shift system for workers in addition to the use of virtual platforms for business or work. Conferences and workshops can take place with all the appropriate protocols however I encourage the use of virtual platforms for such engagements,” he added.