Yesterday, a sudden fire started at Modern Languages Annex (MLA) on University of Ghana campus as electricians were working on an air-conditioner.
The fire started between the hours of 11am and 12noon while electricians were conducting their regular check ups and maintenance of equipment.
MLA, an extended building of the modern languages department was setup due to its large growing size of students..h
The building serves as venues for most tutorials classes of the language courses.
It also doubles up as the venue for conferences of lecturers and other language based social events.
The fire got people, students and electricians alike running for their lives to seek refuge elsewhere.
The department however lacked a basic requirement of every building, a fire extinguisher.
For over ten minutes, no one made attempts to put out the fire as no one could pin point exactly where a fire extinguisher was.
The shouts and wails finally died off as a gentle man appeared with a fire extinguisher when the electricians searched to no avail.
However as a result of the fire, some tutorial sessions could not come off as scheduled.
Story by: Hendrina-Rose Bawa/universnewsroom.com